Mela and SABC3 Breast Cancer Awareness
Breast cancer awareness photoshoot 2019
We’re reluctant to talk about breast cancer – which means that too few South African women are aware of the risk that they face. Research indicates that nearly 20-million SA women aged 15 years and older are at risk of hearing the dreaded words “you have breast cancer” – but they have no idea of why they should monitor their breast health and how to do it - or that early diagnosis can be life-saving.
This inspired Mela and SABC 3 to execute a special project – and the Mela and SABC 3: Breast Cancer Awareness Photo-shoot Campaign 2019 is the result. Fourteen very special ladies, including five cancer survivors, accepted the invitation to model for the photo-shoot and we’d like to thank the following role models for lending their support and faces to the campaign (in alphabetical order):
• Nambitha Ben-Mazwi – well-known actor, business strategist and electronic media personality
• Lillian Dube – multiple award-winning actor, breast cancer survivor and cancer awareness activist
• Dr Sheena Geness – medical practitioner, philanthropist and L’Oreal Paris Women of Worth winner
• Wardah Hartley – yoga, fitness and wellness expert and blogger, entrepreneur
• Dr Veruschka José-Bryant – maxilla-facial and oral surgeon
• Fatima Loonat-Dadoo – fashion, food and lifestyle influencer
• Ouma Mamatela – breast cancer survivor and counsellor
• Tumi Morake – award-winning actor and comedian
• Kerishnie Naiker – former Miss SA, MC and motivational speaker, pharmacist and philanthropist
• Mandisa Ntsinde – online content creator and cancer survivor
• Dr Anushka Reddy – President of Cosmetic Doctors & Scientific Director of the Cosmetic Medicine Congress of SA and owner of Medisculpt
• Tema Sebopedi – Award-winning actor
• Jenna Skews – Breast Health Foundation representative and cancer survivor
• Dr Liana Volkwyn – Plastic & reconstructive surgeon and breast cancer survivor
Our models were sumptuously attired by Quraisha Hassim of Jasmin’s Bridal in Durban, assisted by stylist Zaida Omar. Raeel Ahmed, Nalika Govan and Benazir Akbar complemented each face and look with perfect make-up – ready for photographer Amor Nawn to create stunning images, assisted by Zahir Amod. Master jeweller and Indian classical percussionist Vivek Dhol enhanced the ambience of the occasion with his brilliant tabla playing, helping the models to relax and the creatives to focus on the process.
Dr Anushka Reddy hosted the shoot at her beautiful home, assisted by Jacori Goosen, Karin Lusse and Francinah Makobela from the Medisculpt team, while Shehaam Williams and Authentic Foods kept up everyone’s energy levels with a scrumptious lunch.
Naturally the Mela team was on hand to capture the event, with the bubbly Zakeeya Patel ensuring that everyone felt at home in front of the camera while Kent Williamson performed his creative and technical magic behind it, assisted by Shane Bean and Birgit Mugge.
The Mela and SABC 3: Breast Cancer Awareness Photo-shoot Campaign 2019 will run over a five-week period timed to coincide with Breast Cancer Awareness Month in October – and a special feature covering the shoot will appear on the show during this time, so be sure to keep a lookout…
Stay tuned to Mela every Sunday at 17:30 on SABC 3. “The stage is yours.”